After several weeks of interrupted sleep, mixing Children’s Mucinex into chicken broth (vet recommended), and blood drops on the floor, we took Dixie to the University of Minnesota Small Animal Hospital for a third opinion. (See: Our Dixie is Sick).
When we first got Dixie almost four years ago, we saw a vet, who we absolutely loved. Let’s call her Dr. Woof (her name is very similar to this). We felt that Dr. Woof really cared about Dixie’s wellbeing and was able to explain things in layman’s terms for us. After a year or so of seeing her, we were sad to find out that she was leaving the clinic to open her own practice with another veterinarian. The drive seemed too far to justify following her, so we stayed at the clinic.
Ever since Dixie got sick, we felt a little unsatisfied with the care at that clinic. I think the doctors there have too many patients, and with how serious things were getting, we wanted to get a second opinion.
Seth researched Dr. Woof’s new clinic and we decided to give her a call. The funny thing is, the day that we called to make an appointment, we found out that Dr. Woof just had a baby the day before. We ended up seeing her partner and absolutely loved her. She examined Dixie and gave her really great care. We decided to try a different approach with medicine before undergoing any x-rays.
Unfortunately, the medicine didn’t work and Dr. Woof’s partner recommended that we make an appointment for Dixie at the University of Minnesota’s Small Animal Hospital, since they would best be able to handle her case.
I dressed Dixie up in her University of Minnesota jersey (if you had a small dog, you would do it too!) and we headed to St. Paul. Over three hours, we were questioned by a veterinarian student, Dixie was probed and poked a few times, and we listened to an intern, who had a strong English accent, explain what our options were.
At the end of it all, we decided to go forward with a CT scan and potential rhinoscopy to see what is causing her stuffiness and epistaxis. I say potential rhinoscopy, because if the CT scan picks up a mass of some sort, we may not go forward with the rhinoscope procedure.
Dixie will go in on Thursday and we should have some answers by the end of this week. We are having a hard time justifying the money that will be spent, as it is a huge chunk of our savings, and it might only give us a diagnosis. However, you tend to do crazy things for the ones you love.